Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Box

                Starting a business has been such a great experience for me thus far. I feel like I am on a jet, flying through the stars, with the world at my fingertips . . . .


               Today, I got a package in the mail with my Business Cards, Customer Loyalty Cards,  Letterhead, Box Seals and Post Cards! Its like Christmas came early. I have dreamed of this day for years . . . to be able to tell people "Yes, I own my own Business. Here is my Business Card . . if you can see it, think it or even dream it . . I can make it into a cake".


               I remember the first day I stood behind a turntable, spatula in hand, and thought to myself, What have I gotten myself into. I didn't know it then, but I was taking the first step to my career. I was 17, not yet old enough to even legally be behind the bakery counter. The cake decorator had called out for the day. . . . .


              There was a manager and a few other employees all standing around a single cake order form . . just staring. I walked up to the manager and asked for help clocking in since I wasn't scheduled that particular day. He held up a finger, as to tell me to hold on one minute, and told one of the employees waiting, "If we cant get a decorator from another store, we will just have to call the customer and let them know we wont be able to fill her order". As I was waiting, I argued back and forth with myself. I knew I was capable of decorating a cake, but I didn't have any notable training. My manager interrupted my argument with a joke, as he patted me twice on the back, "She will do it. You dont mind do you?" he said with a loud chuckle. Not really thinking straight, I replied "Yes Sir, I would love to try!". I explained to him that I had taken a little cake class when I was very young and did really well. He seemed worried but convinced himself of the idea after I explained how mad the customer would be that her 6 year old wouldn't have a cake for his birthday party. (Ok, so maybe I emphasized that part to him, but hey, it worked!!) . . . . . . . So turn table in front of me and spatula in hand, I iced and decorated the cake. To me, it was awful. Not a thing like I had dreamed or imagined. One corner had crumbs in the icing and the border, being so close to the edge, looked like it could have jumped ship any moment. But when "my first customer" came to pickup the cake, she loved it. Im sure it wasnt the prettiest thing she had ever seen but her son had a cake, with his name on it, for is 6th Birthday Party. And I had tasted something I knew I wanted to pursue . . .


               I got a job as a Cake Decorator a year or two later by luck. I worked then with many other Very Talented (and Trained) Cake Decorators learning little things here and there. After I had learned everything I needed to know through co-workers, books, internet and self training (just plain old everyday practice) I started to get bored . . doing the same thing everyday wasn't fun anymore now that I wasn't learning anything new. My mind was bursting with creativity that I couldn't use because the stores I worked in had so many rules and regulations about what you can and cant do. Even the wedding cakes couldn't be altered to fit the personality of the bride and groom. Here and there I would get a manager that didn't care if I went outside the box. And when I was able to do so . .  Everyone LOVED it! I had a few customers that when I would change stores, would drive across town for a cake from me! It was then, I KNEW, I wanted to own my very own Cake Business . . where everyday would be "out of the box" . . . .

My Business Supplies







If you would like to order a Cake from Kreative Kakes by Design please visit my Website at https://sites.google.com/site/kreativekakesbydesign/home , choose your Cake Flavor, Icing and Filling (optional) and then E-mail me at KreativeKakesbyDesign@Gmail.com with your Name and Phone Number and and a Brief Summary of what type of Cake you are interested in. Thank You for Visiting my Blog! Please come again soon:)




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your story of how you wanted to become a cake decorator. I know that you really love what you do. You have such awesome dreams and wishes and I really hope that every dream and wish you have comes true and that you have the greatest success with your business that you could possibly have. You have amazing "Kreations" and ideas for the "Kakes" you make. You are an excellent cake designer and decorator. I am very proud of you and to see you accomplish your goals in life. Don't stop doing what you love doing.

    ReplyDelete